For Sunday December 18, 2016
Year A, Fourth Sunday of Advent
Fourth Sunday of Advent :: Blue/Purple ::
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL OFFERING for the Disciples of Christ
Call to Worship (Responsive)
Adapted from Psalm 80
L: Give ear, O shepherd of Israel,
P: You who are enthroned upon the Cherubim, shine forth.
L: Restore us, O God;
P: Let your face shine, that we may be saved.
L: Let your hand be upon the one at your right hand,
P: The one whom you made strong for yourself.
L: Then we will never turn back from you,
P: Give us life, and we will call upon your name.
We come seeking a child. We come seeking a savior. We come seeking your majesty, and blessing, and grace O God. O God, we come. Draw us near to you in your holy presence, as we are drawn to the manger of Bethlehem. Hold us near, O God, as we look through the shadow of the cross. Make us your own, O God. Help us to be your people, now and forever in the name of Jesus the Christ.
The Word from the church is to Believe in a Deeper Hope that moves beyond the “wrappings” of Christmas around us. We proclaim a Hope that brings Good News, Joy and Compassion for all of God’s people. THIS DEEPER HOPE IS MADE REAL IN ALL OF OUR REGIONS AS WE:
• Assist congregations and leaders in claiming their unique mission and ministry, and provide resources and support.
• Call, commission and ordain new pastors, and support and equip all pastors for their ministries.
• Revitalize existing congregations and plan for new congregations.
• Connect Regional Disciples to give witness to ministries of justice, hope and compassion.
• Provide camps, conferences and retreats where children and youth find hope and Christ’s love and a community of faith that embraces “everyone.”
• Make visible the care for all of God’s family through ministries of reconciliation and anti-racism.
• Call and equip passionate leaders for today’s church.
• Provide pastoral care for clergy and congregations.
The Christmas Special Day offering supports all of these and many other ministries of our Region. Your generous gifts make a difference in our shared ministries in the Region.
We come before you, O God, with our offerings. We bring them out of our deep hope, and out of our need to help others. Bless these gifts, and use them O God, to bless others who seek to know you, your will, and your way.
We come to this table to celebrate the gospel of Jesus Christ. Who was descended from David, according to the flesh; AND was declared to be the Son of God with power according to the spirit of holiness by resurrection from the dead; Jesus Christ our Lord. It is easy in advent to look upon the Son of David, the sweet little baby Jesus, and forget the Son of God, who defeats death and brings life eternal. At this table, we give thanks to God and remember both. Come and remember Christ our Lord.
All material copyright 2016 The Jubilee Fund, Inc., and appear on this page via a partnership agreement with the Center for Faith and Giving. Permission granted to reproduce and use any of the above for Churches and Congregations to the glory of God without requirement of compensation or notification.
Scripture Quotations from the New Revised Standard Version. Online Scripture links a service of the Jean and Alexander Heard Divinity Library, of Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN